Chest day, probably the most satisfying workout of the week.
Looking around the gym at the lack of available benches, it’s clear that most guys feel the same way! The gym is packed with guys looking to get all looking to get ripped and build a big chest. But how much success are they getting? Are you making common mistakes when working out?
You can’t fault some guys enthusiasm, but many are grabbing a bench and trying to lift too heavy, with poor form, doing the same thing week in week out.
The result? Lack of gains, lack of shape….leading to a lack of motivation.
Like most workouts, building a big chest, that’s toned and well balanced requires good form, variation and intensity. You need to shock your muscles and keep them guessing. There are few things more motivating and satisfying than seeing the results of your hard work……check out this chest workout for building a bigger, better chest:
- Flat bench x 3 sets (8-10 reps)
- Flat bench x 1 set (heavy, 3-5 reps)
- Flat bench x 1 (drop set following heavy set, 10-15 reps/ as many as you can)
- Incline bench – dumbells x 4 sets (8-10)
- Incline dumbell flies x 4 sets (8-10)
- Cable flies low x 2 sets (8-10)
- Cable flies high x 2 sets (8-10)
- Peck deck x 3 sets (8-10)
- Finisher – pressups, as many as you can.
We always try and mix this up each week, alternating between bar and dumbells, bench and cables. For maximum effect, focus on your form: for pressing, elbows need to be lowered to 90 degrees, you don’t need to go lower than this as you’ll be working your triceps. For flies, focus on the flex at the bottom and squeeze at the top.
At the end of the day, at the end of the workout you will know if you’ve done it right and given it your all!