Optimum Nutrition is renowned as the biggest protein and sports supplements brand in the world, used by some of the top athletes and bodybuilders. We’ve reviewed their Gold Standard 100% Whey before which is the most popular protein powder on the market, but this time we take a look at the Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard Stack, 4 premium products aimed at improving performance.
For the hardcore athletes among us or anyone who is taking their training seriously, the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Stack is a package deal consisting of their Gold Standard 100% Whey, Gold Standard 100% Casein, new Gold Standard BCAA Train & Sustain, and their Gold Standard Pre Workout! This stack of products has you covered for any time of day, designed to get you fully pumped up and ready for a workout, providing everything you need to repair and build muscle following the toughest of sessions!
Lets take a closer look at the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Stack:
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey
KEY PRODUCT FEATURES:
- 24g of premium whey protein, low in fat and sugars
- 5.5g of naturally occurring BCAA per serving
- 4g glutamine and glutamine acid
- Only 120 calories per serving!
- High protein so support muscle growth and maintenance
- Enjoy first thing in the morning or pre/post workout
- Amazing flavours!
- The worlds #1 Selling Whey Protein
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey is made from premium whey protein which is easily digestible so it can be taken first thing on a morning, as a snack, or after a workout. What sets this product apart from many other major protein supplements is the vast array of flavours, they literally have a flavour for you no matter what your preferred taste.
- COOKIES N’ CREAM
- BANANA CREAM
- DELICIOUS STRAWBERY
- CHOCOLATE MINT
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER
- ROCKY ROAD
- CARAMEL FRAPPE
- DOUBLE RICH CHOCOLATE
- VANILLA ICE CREAM
- MILK CHOCOLATE
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein
KEY PRODUCT FEATURES
- 24g of slow digesting casein proteins
- 3g carbohydrates
- 0.5g fat
- 1.6g sugars
- No added sugars!
- Most suitable to be taken on an evening before bed to support muscle growth
- 9g essential amino acids
- Chocolate or Vanilla flavours
What is Casein?
So what is casein? What is the difference between casein and whey protein?
The two types of protein found in milk are whey and casein. The difference between the two is how they are digested by the body and absorbed. Casein protein is absorbed at a slower rate than whey protein so the protein is released at a slower rate into the body. Whey protein quickly increases blood amino acids to help absorb protein which is ideal after a workout to help repair and build your muscles.
Casein protein results in a longer period of heightened blood amino acids which help with the body’s natural muscle building process which is why it is perfect to be taken before bed to help feed your muscles while you rest.
It’s really important to understand the difference between whey protein and casein protein, and how they contribute to muscle growth in different ways. For optimal effect you should be taking Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey after a workout or as a snack to help repair muscles, and Gold Standard 100% Casein is a slow release protein to be taken before bed.
The chances are you are sleeping for 6-8 hours and probably going at least 10-12 hours between an evening meal and your breakfast, that’s a long time to go without feeding your muscles. If you work out regularly and have a good metabolism then your muscles will be burning energy while you sleep and if there’s no food in your system, the next best available source is your own muscles as this burns more easily than fat.
This highlights the importance of products like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein, the perfect nutritional source to help build muscles throughout the night.
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard BCAA Train + Sustain
KEY PRODUCT FEATURES
- 5g BCAA’s in 2:1:1 ratio
- Magnesium and Vitamin C to reduce fatigue and tiredness
- Vitamin C supports immunity
- Magnesium provides muscle support
- Banned substance tested
- Beautiful range of flavours
- Apple & Pear
- Raspberry & Pomegranate
- Strawberry & Kiwi
- Peach & Passionfruit
What does Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard BCAA Train + Sustain do?
BCAA Train + Sustain has been specifically designed as a high quality intra-workout drink, to consume whilst during a workout to help you sustain intensity and support your muscles at the same time helping to boost your immunity and reduce fatigue. This means you will be in better shape and feeling fresh to hit your next big workout.
What makes this Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard BCAA Train + Sustain extra special and appealing to take during your workout is the amazing range of flavours, our personal favourite has to be peach & passionfruit. All you need to do is add water!
What are BCAAs?
BCAAs stands for “branched-chain amino acid supplements” which help stimulate protein synthesis and have been found to not only increase the rate of protein synthesis but actually increase the cell’s capacity for protein synthesis. If you have a pretty good diet, you’re lean with low levels of body fat then during a workout your body needs energy, and one way to satisfy this energy need is by turning to muscle.
BCAAs help prevent this muscle loss by increasing the rate of protein synthesis compared with the rate of protein breakdown, contributing to muscle gain.
So in simplified terms, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard BCAA Train + Sustain helps you sustain an intense workout, feeding your muscles energy to help contribute to muscle growth at the same time preventing fatigue and tiredness.
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout
KEY PRODUCT FEATURES
- 375 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCI375 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCI
- 250 mg of N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine
- Muscle Matrix including 25 mg of AstraGIN
- 175mg of caffeine
- Vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6 and B12
- Outrageous flavours available
- Green Apple
- Blueberry and lemonade
- Fruit Punch
- Strawberry & Lime
So Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout is pretty self explanatory, it’s a pre-workout supplement to help give you that energy boost for an intense workout and help you make some serious gains.
Before a workout many people look to find a way to increase their energy to help them perform better, but the problem here is getting the right type of food. By consuming Gold Standard Pre-Workout you can rest assured you’re going to not only get the right source of energy, but also the right nutrients and vitamins that will help contribute to your performance and overall health. It prevents you from consuming too many of the wrong carbs which will hinder your performance and take longer to burn.
What do B vitamins do?
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout is packed full of B vitamins, in fact it has 5 types of them: B1, B3, B5, B6 and B12. B vitamins help the body convert carbohydrates into glucose, so converting food into energy which is exactly what your body needs before an intense workout! They also help metabolize fats and protein.
- B1 – Thiamine, helps the body extract and digest energy, and assists with healthy heart and nerve functions.
- B3 – Niacinamide, a multi tasker that benefits your skin, reducing acne and preventing wrinkles.
- B5 – Pantethide, helps the body produce red blood cells to carry oxygen around the body, helps with cholesterol and heart health.
- B6 – Pyridoxine, helps support your adrenal function maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- B12 – helps create DNA and maintains healthy nerve and blood cells, prevents anemia which is responsible for tiredness and feeling weak.
Gold Standard Pre-Workout is a very popular Optimum Nutrition product and used by many bodybuilders and athletes. One feature making it incredibly popular are the amazing flavours, we recommend watermelon!!
So to summarise the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Stack:
- Gold Standard Pre-Workout – take before your workout to prepare and fuel your body for an intense session.
- Gold Standard BCAA Train + Sustain – take during your workout to help maintain intensity.
- Gold Standard 100% Whey – take after your workout to help repair and build muscle.
- Gold Standard 100% Casein – take just before bed to feed your muscles throughout the night.
Thanks for reading our Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Stack review!