The shoulder session is probably our most enjoyable, satisfying workout of the week, building broad shoulders is something most guys work hard for in the gym.
They are key to looking bigger and broader, they compliment the arms and help give you that important v-shape making your waist appear slimmer.
Download our FREE e-book ‘The Six Pack Diary, The Essential Guide To Visible Abs’
A problem many guys have is unbalanced shoulders with large front deltoids caused by years of performing too much heavy bench press, and not enough ‘pull’ exercises. This can be countered by performing more back exercises which helps with balance and improving posture.
Our aim is for well balanced, broad and strong shoulders.
To do this, we focus on the posterior, anterior and lateral deltoids, check out our workout:
- Overhead dumbbell press x 4 sets (8-10 reps), 1 x light dropset
- Barbell military press x 4 sets (8-10 reps)
- Dumbbell side raises, straight arm x 4 sets (8-10 reps)
- Dumbbell front raises x 4 sets, 1 x double arm plate raise (8-10 reps)
- Reverse flies x 4 sets (8-10) – use a fly machine or cables.
- Shrugs x 4 sets (8-10)
- Finish on wide grip pullups x 3 sets (8-10 reps)
We try and mix this up each week, varying between dumbbells and cables for side and front raises. The most important thing is that you work all areas of the shoulder.
We try and go heavy on the press for strength and size, but light on the lateral/front raises and flyes, focusing on good form. This is more effective, and reduces the chance of injury which is always a risk with shoulders.
Give this workout a go and you’ll be on your way to building some boulder shoulders!
Always consult a fitness trainer before joining a gym or starting a fitness program.